One of the perks of your parents deciding to build a holiday home in Portugal, are the delivery of lemons I get every so often. They are the most wonderful delicious lemons!
I decided to try and be a bit creative with some of them and came across this fantastic recipe from Jamie Oliver. The biscuits went down a treat at work, they were all gone by lunchtime. So I thought I would share it with you all. They really are delicious!
125g of butter, cubed, room temperature
100g of caster sugar
1 egg (preferably free range)
200g of plain flour
2 lemons, the zest (keep the juice to one side for icing)
1/4 of a teaspoon of baking powder
1 pinch of sea salt
extra plain flour for dusting
1. Put the sugar and butter into a bowl and cream together. You can use a fork or an electric blender.
2. Add the egg to the mixture and mix until fluffy.
3. Add the baking powder, flour, salt and lemon zest and mix to create a ball of dough
4. Once you have your ball of dough place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. This will help to firm it up.
5. After removing your dough from the fridge roll it out on a floured surface. It should be around 1/2 centimetre thick.
6. Use a cutter of your choice to cut out the shapes. I used this duck, it was a nightmare, so I switched to a man shape, which was also a nightmare. The rest was rolled into balls and squashed.
7. Place your shapes onto a baking tray (don’t forget to grease it!) and bake for around 12 minutes at 180°c/350°F/gas 4.
8. Once baked leave on a wire rack to cool. Or a plate… I don’t have a wire rack. Oops.
9. While you are waiting you can make your icing! Now I used all of the juice from the two lemons which made enough icing for around 7000 biscuits. So just use a little as you go. Probably 1/2 of a lemon will be more than enough! Once your biscuits are cooled you can ice them.
10. After making a right mess of the kitchen, rescue the one you dropped in the vat of icing.